(Think tri-athlon, but it’s Wekiv-athlon!)
Presented by Wekiva Wild and Scenic River System, Friends of the Wekiva River, and Wekiva River Aquatic Preserve.
Do you love the Wekiva Basin? You’ll love the Wekivathlon!
This fun, self-paced, six-month-long adventure encourages you to get out and explore the Wekiva Basin. For each adventure completed, you will earn a corresponding sticker to mark your achievements. In addition, every two stickers you receive earns you one raffle ticket! The raffle will be held monthly with the chance to win an environmentally-related prize!
The adventure opportunities are listed below.
Wekiva Basin Outdoor Recreation “Wekivathlon” Opportunities
- Wekiwa Springs State Park #WekiwaSpringsStateParkHiking
- Rock Springs Run State Reserve #RockSpringsRunStateReserveHiking
- Seminole State Forest #SeminoleStateForestHiking
- Lower Wekiva River Preserve State Park #LowerWekivaRiverPreserveHiking
- Lake Norris Conservation Area #LakeNorrisHiking
- Kelly Park #KellyParkHiking
Paddle river segments:
- Wekiwa Springs Run #WekiwaSpringsRunPaddle
- Rock Springs Run upstream to Kelly Park (the Emerald Cut) #EmeraldCutPaddle
- Rock Springs Run to its confluence with the Wekiva River #RSRtoWekivaPaddle
- The Wekiva River #WekivaRiverPaddle
- Black Water Creek in Seminole State Forest #BWCfromSSFPaddle
- Black Water Creek to Lake Norris in the Lake Norris Conservation Area #BWCtoLakeNorrisPaddle
- The Little Wekiva River #LittleWekivaRiverPaddle
- Camping at designated campsites across the basin #WekivaBasinCamping
- Tubing/Swimming/Snorkeling Rock Springs Run in Kelly Park #KellyParkSnorkel
- Volunteering for FOWR/ WWSR #WekivaRiverVolunteer
- Attend FOWR Board Meeting #FOWRBoardMeeting
- Cash donation of $5 or more to FOWR #IDonated
How to Participate
Attend a Friends of the Wekiva River (FOWR), Wekiva Wild and Scenic River (WWSR), or Wekiva River Aquatic Preserve (WRAP) Event in the listed categories to receive a sticker in person between February 1st and July 31st 2022.
Complete the activity on your own and post a picture to Facebook AND/OR Instagram* with the #MatchingHashtag (location or action tag should match one of the above 18 options), #Month, #Wekivathlon, and #WekivaRiverAquaticPreserve and tag @FriendsofWekiva and @WekivaWildandScenic then email RiverAmbassador@FriendsofWekiva.org with your mailing address between February 1st and July 31st 2022*. Posted pictures will be reshared on Wekiva Wild and Scenic River System and Friends of the Wekiva River Social Media*.
*For those with no social media or your accounts are private: email a picture (or a screenshot of your post) with the location/activity and month to RiverAmbassador@FriendsofWekiva.org and we will post it for you!
Every 2 stickers will also enter you in a monthly raffle for a prize!
Earning stickers will automatically enter you into the monthly raffle. Raffle prizes will be drawn at the end of the month. Non-winning raffle tickets will be carried over into the following month’s raffle.
Check out our raffle prizes!
Thank you to all of our generous donors for the raffle prizes!
Waterlust Gift Card – Waterlust makes eco-responsible, sun protective apparel used to help fund research and educate the world about environmental conservation.
REI Gift Card and Nalgene Bottle – REI Winter Park store has top-brand gear and clothing—and inspiration—for camping, climbing, cycling, fitness, hiking, paddling, travel and more.
Green Isle Gardens Gift Card – Green Isle Gardens specializes in Florida native plants and wildflowers, with a focus on upland plant species. The nursery has 8 acres under production and features more than 150 species of native plants.
Silver Falls Sustainability Co. Gift Card – Silver Falls Sustainability has all your zero waste needs! Check out their amazing selection of lotions, shampoo, conditioner, and our personal favorite, their chapsticks!
Kula Cloth – The Kula Cloth® was designed for anybody who squats when they pee (or uses a pee-funnel)! Some people use Kula as a handkerchief or a small washcloth.
Rock Springs Run Trail Rides Gift Card – Enjoy a horseback ride through Rock Springs Run State Reserve!
Travel Country Outfitters Gift Card – Get all your gear and expert advice from Travel Country!
First day for entries is February 1st 2022, last day for entry is July 31st, 2022
Check out some of the stickers, designed by Friends of Wekiva River member Michelle Jamesson
*Each social post earns one sticker for the original poster.
*No duplicate stickers per person.
*Location tag must match options outlined above #1-18.
*By posting pictures with the above tags you are agree to let the Wekiva Wild and Scenic & Friends of the Wekiva River Instagram and Facebook pages reshare your images with photo credits.
*Rules are subject to change at any time.